Wednesday, September 24, 2008

? Generation ?

I received an email this morning that got me thinking...What generation do I belong to?

Well this email told me I was part of Generation Y (1980-1995). Then I looked up Generation in Wikipedia and it says I am actually part of Generation X (1965-1981). Something else I read said that Generation X are those age 24-32 (1984-1976) and Generation Y are those 16-24 (1984-1992) and Generation Z preteen-15...I don't think I agree with this last one...Another one says I am Generation X which ranges from 1966-1980 and Generation Next is 1981-1988.

So what I have learned is there isn't a clear cut answer (at least that I found) of which generation I belong to, my sisters and I possibly cover 2 or 3 generations and that I maybe the only one of my sisters in my generation. So I guess I am in what some people have referred to as Generation Limbo...the very beginning or end of one generation.

If anyone has heard anything interesting or found anything online let me know!

2 comments:

Janene said...

Honestly, I believe that you should look at the personalities described by the generations. I don't think it's so much about the exact year you were born as it is about the world around you while growing up.

For instance, my youngest sister was born in 1980... but she grew up with 5 other siblings who were born in the 60's and 70's... our parents were born in the 30's and 40's (prior to the Baby Boomer generation). So, I am guessing that her personality would be more of Generation X.

I am assuming that your parents are in the Baby Boomer Generation or even Generation X... also you are amongst the oldest in your family. With that information, it's possible that you may fit more into the Generation Y category.

Look at the descriptions of these two Generations (X & Y)... events that occured during that Generations time along with personality traits. From there, you may find your answer.

Those are my thoughts... take them or leave them :)

Jennie said...

Hehe...I know where you got that email...

Yeah, I was always confused on what generation we were in. I doubt we'll ever figure it out! (Then again, does it really matter?)