
This is 1 of 10 white alligators in the whole world. The Hogle Zoo has it on loan thru the month of October. When Allison's kindergarten went in the spring we wanted to go in and see it but the line was too long and the time we had was too short. So we were very glad to get a chance to see it before it left. They sunburn easily and are spotted easily as well so they are rare and were almost extinct. Someone found a nest of eggs and they were sent to zoo or something in California. One of the zookeepers said they lay down and stretch and flop their limbs out like you see above. We also got to see a wolf that is a new animal at the zoo. We just happened to see him trot by the fence when we got around to where it's home was. I think he can be hard to spot because of the trees and space he has to roam in.
In the last couple of years they have redone the elephants' habitat. This is one of the displays around their home. Mathew has his arm in an elephant skull's mouth.
I thought I would take a nice picture of the zebras just standing around. Which they had been doing for a while right before and right after I took this picture. But of course as I take the picture this is what the zebra does. There were many times I began to take a picture of the animals and the kids and the animals would begin to take a potty break. It was wonderful...NOT!
"I'll jump if you will"..."Wait I see something over there"..."Ignore him"..."I'll jump if you will"
There was TONS of construction going on at the zoo. The two animals I like to see the most were the tigers and the giraffes. Unfortunately we couldn't get very close to the giraffes because there was construction all around...in fact for this picture we walked around a few vehicles that were parked there by construction workers, but we were still outside of the construction gate. The tigers were removed and not out to be seen because some men were working on something in the tigers' habitat. Plus we went on a day when the weather had started to cool so a few of the animals weren't out. The rhino wasn't out and that was a bummer because they built a little cave like place for people to go in and you can get VERY close thru a window to a rhino (if they come close to the window).
It was a fun day and very packed with activities. Maybe next time we will just go to temple square and see all the church sites around there.

3 comments:
That alligator is so cool. I've never seen anything like it!!
Sorry about that last post it was really by me I was just using Noah's computer!!
I've wanted to go see the new white alligator, but we haven't made it up there. The pic you posted is a really good one though.
Hope all is well with the family and that your holidays go smoothly this year! We're heading to Mass for Thanksgiving, staying home for Christmas and then up to ID for the New Year (or at least that's the plan for now). Hopefully we'll all avoid some of the usual holiday madness!!!
Post a Comment