Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Lost Tooth - Stinkin' Tooth Fairy


Mathew lost his first tooth on Sunday (yes I am a little neglectful in my reporting of this event). He was SO excited to finally lose a tooth! It was loose and he just kept messing with it and eventually pulled it out...there was quite a bit of blood, so I am pretty sure he forced it along a bit, but he did it!
That night he faithfully put the labelled ziploc bag under his pillow. He was very excited for the $1 from the tooth fairy for losing his first tooth...after that the tooth fairy gets cheap and only pays a quarter. So the next morning he eagerly looks for his well earned booty and finds out that the stinkin' tooth fairy didn't come...OOPS! Luckily she remembered the next night and we had a very happy little boy the next morning when he found his dollar.
On a side note: Allison now knows the tooth fairy personally because the same mistake was made with one of the last teeth she lost and the tooth fairy just didn't have it in her to keep her identity a secret....that's ok...the fun and "magic" is great in the beginning and as they get older they understand.)
And on another note...their dad has been ready to identify Santa for a long time, something about not disillusioning and lying to our children...I held on for years wanting my little ones to feel the "magic" of Santa, not thinking of it as lying but as preserving an innocence and some of the magic of childhood. Well sometime this last Spring or so, Santa was unveiled...but if asked he definitely exists and is real. The spirit of the season, of Christmas and of Santa is important! And I hope we conveyed it to our kids.
Disclaimer: We cannot be held accountable for anything my kids may say to your kids about the identity of the tooth fairy or Santa. (Though I don't expect them to say anything.) And I plan to "disillusion" (in the beginning) any future children we have.

3 comments:

Taylor and Judy said...

We were so glad Hallie finally got word about the tooth fairy. Im like michael, I feel bad we are lying to them, but at the same time I know it all in good fun! I wonder if she will put two and two together and figure out santa this year

King Family said...

Allison said she didn't say anything to Hallie or Mathew...

Jameson Family said...

when is it going to be jada's turn, all my friends kids are loosing there teeth!!! congrats:)