Sunday, October 03, 2010

Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup and Conference

This is one of the traditions I have continued on from my family growing up. My Grandma Green always made homemade Chicken Soup for General Conference Sunday in April and October. Because we were travelling in April we hadn't made it since last October. Michael has helped a lot and even done most of the work the last bunch of times, but this time I did it basically all myself. It was my first time cleaning out the chicken before cooking it. I do not like that part!! I'm pretty proud of myself even though it needed more salt. That is one of the hard parts of this meal. We used fresh potatoes, onion and parsley from our garden.

One of the yummy things is that it is old fashioned and not something that is done in a short time. It took over 3 hours to do it all. I love family traditions and especially something that has been around for a long time. I still remember Grandma making it for us and I remember my grandpa liking angel hair pasta as well as small shell noodles. And even though I make my kids have everything mixed together I remember we would have TONS of noodles and broth and that would be first, but then we had to have at least some of the potatoes, carrots and meat. I still eat some noodles and broth first without the other stuff.

Now to enjoy the leftovers and also think up some meals that will use the chicken.

No comments: